Monday, December 22, 2008

The Day I Hated the Snow!

I've always been one to love winter and snow. All of that changed last week... at least it changed for a few hours. I will try to put some pictures up of my little.... "incident" but let me tell the story the way I want it told.

On Wednesday (the 17th) Blanding had approximately 15 inches of snow and Mustang (where my family ranch is at) had a few inches more than that built up since Monday. My Dad asked me to go out and check on some of our cows to see if they were finding grass to eat and water to drink. So, me being the diligent and obedient son that I am, I got in our farm truck and headed out into the storm. I loaded up some hay and went off into the back country to find the lost cows.


The important thing that my dad forgot to inform me of was that the tires on the truck were about as bald as tires can get. FYI: bald tires don't drive very effectively in the snow. Anyways, I found the cows and checked their water and headed for a better spot to feed them, but I couldn't climb up out of the valley that I was in. I went every direction, through the brush, over a couple of small trees, into a few washed out ditches, and still couldn't get up the hill. About this time my blood pressure was going through the roof and I was on the verge of blowing my top when I looked out my driver's side window and saw 4 of our cows just standing there staring at me spinning the tires. I lost it! I rolled down my window and yelled, " You stupid cows! Don't just stand there, PUSH!!" Needless to say, the stupid things just stood there and didn't reply. I attempted to stare them down with the look I've been known to give when I've been pushed beyond my limits, but because cows are so incredibly dense they absorbed the look and were not even slightly affected.

I realized this hill was not going to cut me any slack so I backed down it and turned around to try the hill on the other side of the valley.... as the pictures show I didn't quite make it...


I had to climb out the passenger side because my driver side door wouldn't open (As you may notice from the one picture there is quite a gap between the snow and the bottom of the truck directly under the passenger door. You may have guessed but I slipped and slid all the way under the truck), threw the hay off to the cows and started walking.... Luckily I had my phone so I called my mom to meet me on the county road about 1.5 miles from where I was stuck. After I had trudged all that way in snow up to my knees you'd think I would have 'cooled off', I hadn't. I even went so far as to text Megan and tell her that I hated snow, hated winter, and hated the cold! She was happy to welcome me into her world!

My family says its not a vacation for Kendall unless he gets stuck so I just thought I'd christen my vacation early on and get it out of the way before I had anyone else with me.

8 comments:

Leon said...

Hahahahahahaha! This part was my favorite. "I rolled down my window and yelled, 'You stupid cows! Don't just stand there, PUSH!!'" I'm sure that those are the exact adjectives you used.... hahaha and imagine me sitting in the airport. I lauged OUT LOUD hard when I read that. I'm sure I got some looks, but they are nothing like the over-the-top kendall looks, so no worries! Very good story. One for the kids, eh?

Jen and Dakota said...

I hate to tell you, but I have been laughing all the way though this story, and just shaking my head. You are crazy. Like you friend.. I loved the part about you yelling at the cows! So you going to get the truck out in the spring or what?
Hope you and your family have a great Christmas. Tell you family hi for us.

Megs said...

Oh Kendall, you tell such a good story. I've already heard it... but I think it was even better the second time. I'm really glad you put in the part about the stupid cows, and I'm glad that you are safe, and are officially on vaca now!!!

Jason- you made ME laugh out loud with your comment... way to go :)
at least i didn't look like a freak in front of everyone :)

Erin said...

Sounds a little familiar. At least you weren't wearing sandals!!!

Anonymous said...

That is a fabulous story! I love it!:)

Levi Dean said...

I feel for you. I hate it when things like that happen. And being alone and away from others doesn't help. That really sucks.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kendall, I have been all over mustang in all kinds of weather in that truck and not once seen it stuck. That takes a lot of talent. Actually I have spent at least an hour trying to get back onto the road at the T on mustang because I had bad tires on my car so I know the frustation.

Ham, Dan and Kaylie said...

What up Kendall?!? Glad I found your blog! How are you? Sounds like you had a blast in the snow... I am so happy that you were yelling at your cows. So funny!