Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Fabulous Weekend

Yes, you read that right, it was a fabulous weekend! This is pretty significant coming from me and I'll explain why. When I am lucky enough to have an extended weekend I love nothing more than going home. Yes, its a 6 1/2 hour drive but, its worth it! But, since my two older brothers have gotten married they, along with my parents, came up with a 'holiday rotation play' that one year we go to Blanding for Thanksgiving and the next year we go home for Christmas. On the off years my brother's go to the homes of their respective in laws and, at least for Thanksgiving, my parents go the my mom's family in Grantsville. I went down Wednesday evenings and got to my grandparents before anyone else. This gave me the rare opportunity to visit with my Grandmother one on one. It was really enjoyable.

Thursday morning my dad and I went for a Thanksgiving morning drive. Its a tradition we've had since I can remember that on Thanksgiving we go for a ride and explore Tooele County. This year we went out to Skull Valley and did some geocaching along the way. It was oodles of fun and we ended up at Dugway Military Base. We went past it and hit the old Pony Express Trail and took it over back into the valley Grantsville is in and then headed home in a round about sort of way. It was a good chance to talk to my dad and have some one on one time with him. Thanksgiving itself was a lot of fun too. Family, good food, and lots of aforementioned good food :).

Black Friday is not a day I enjoy AT ALL. Not even a little bit. I don't like the aimless wondering around style of "shopping" and I like the massive throngs of people doing the same thing even less. Usually I only last about half a day of doing so with my parents before I start getting grouchy and irritable. This year however, I followed them in their 'shopping journeys' all day Friday and a good portion of Saturday without getting upset once! Well.... there was a little incident Saturday when I was making an important phone call and my parents were ruthlessly teasing me (with Kyle's help also) and I apparently gave my mom a dirty look... I apologized for it though so its OK right? Really though I think the only reason I was able to accomplish such a feat while shopping with all of those other people was because I had a good friend texting me both days and helping me to keep my sanity! She'll never quite know just how grateful I am for that and the other shoppers don't know how grateful they should be to her for that :) Thanks Megan, from all involved :)

Saturday night we went to see the Christmas lights on Temple Square. It was the first time I had been in several years and I had forgotten how great it was. Helen had invited me the night before but I had a dead phone. So, Saturday night, my parents, Kyle, Becca, Hannah, and myself rode trax downtown and met up with Megan, who had driven down from Centerville to meet us. The lights were GREAT! It was so much fun to just wonder around and enjoy the lights and holiday spirit down there. It was also fun to watch Hannah as we walked around and she saw the lights and the manger scene and stuff. She's such a funny little girl. Yes, she has her uncle Kendall wrapped around her finger (as does her two cousins, Klatyon and Shelbie's little girls) and I'm not ashamed to admit it! :) The weather on Temple Square was perfect last night too! All in all it was a great night to spend at my favorite place in Salt Lake with some of my favorite people around! I don't know if everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did, but I think they did.

Anyways I just wanted to post a blog about my fabulous weekend. No better way to spend the Thanksgiving Holiday than to spend it with family that you love and other great people!

1 comment:

Megs said...

Thanksgiving is for sure my favorite holiday! Christmas is a close second tho! I'm glad I could keep you from being grouchy all day. Who knew I had such powers?

Saturday night was fun! You have such a cute family! And it's good that you're not ashamed to admit that hannah is wrapped around your finger, I have the feeling that she could wrap up just about anyone she wanted to :)

Oh, and thanks again for the hot chocolate!